Thursday 7 November 2013

Blogvember day 7: spaghetti sauce recipe

I have just topped up with freezer with 10 bags of fresh homemade spaghetti tomato sauce. I love knowing that I always have some on standby and I know exactly what it is made from.
Friends who are self-confessed salad dodgers are surprised to find that the tomato sauce didn't just contain tomatoes!

If you fancy giving this a go, here is my picture step by step guide.

You will need:

1 diced onion
1 large sweet potato
1 courgette
1/2 aubergine/eggplant
4 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
1 vegetable stock cube
Seasoning
2 tbsp oregano, fresh or dried
Garlic purée 

Start off by peeling and slicing the sweet potato

...aubergine


...and courgette


Assemble on a large baking tray and bake for 50 mins at 180 degC


Until they look like...


Blend all of these roasted vegetables.

 Interesting look!

Next up, soften the diced onion in a tbsp of oil. Once softened and to the blender and whizz. Add one jar of the chopped tomatoes.


Divide into two large saucepans.


Add 1.5 cans of chopped tomatoes to each saucepan and add a cup of stock to each, one tablespoon of oregano to each and seasoning to taste.


Add a squeeze of garlic purée to each saucepan to taste.


Stir well and simmer on the hob gently for 20 minutes.
Once it is cool add a cup of the sauce to your labelled freezer bags. I find the best way to do this is to open up a bag and place it inside a small jug and use a cup measure to aliquot out the sauce. 
Aliquot is such a good science term :)
Flatten the bags to get rid of any air bubbles and secure well. Stack in a freezer.
Ta dah!


I kept this bag aside to make some sausage rigatoni pasta which was pretty delicious if I do say so myself :)











No comments:

Post a Comment